History of Barangays
The first settlers of then Barangay Bukol located themselves near their source of living which is primarily the Laguna Lake. Fisher folk residing at the lakeshores benefitted from the richness of the lake. Traversing the riverbanks, which was the source of irrigation; farmers tilled lands and planted crops.
When the Spaniards came to the area, colonizers settled at the town center. Then the Spanish soldiers moved their settlements near the lake and established a fortress camp to guard the locals. While they were staying at the place, they started to call it “playa” which means shorelines. From then on, the place called Playa.
When the Japanese occupation forces came, USAFFE forces hid in the locally. With roving band of bandits, who pretended to be guerilla forces, the residents suffered much. They were caught in the cross fire during firefights between such forces and the Japanese Imperial Army. Some were killed for the suspicion of being spy, and at one instance the bandits burned down the school and harassed the people. The residents evacuated and fled to the mountains, by the lake and elsewhere.
Soon, the people got used to calling the place Aplaya translated to colloquial Filipino language.
Fertile land and abundant water irrigation characterized Barangay Balibago then when farming was the main source of living. Unlike now when only 7% of its area are dedicated for agriculture. Today establishments and factories dart Balibago which helped so much in its growth.
What is now known as Barangay Balibago started first to be known as Oya’s place. Story goes that there was a Chinese stranger name Oya who lived I the barangay and was diligent and very nice to everyone.
Rivers border the barangay in the north and east part. The Spaniards were the first ones who made the bridges for the barangay up to the time that it collapsed. For fear of the Spaniards, the native residents re-established the bridges. When the Spaniards came, they would always say Bali, asking for the condition of the bridges. Yelling back, the natives answered Bago. Sinc then Oya’s place came to known as Balibago.
Barangay Caingin was known as part of Barangay Bukol (which is known today as City of Santa Rosa) which was then one of the barangays in the town of Biñan. This was owned by Doña Juana Galintang.
But before the place had been cleared, it was called Mandarambong because of the pirates that nestled here. It was then the center of importinggoods from the Chinese businessmen. Proofs were the Chinese antiques that were recovered from the ground.
Laguna Lake was a great factor to the development of Barangay Caingin. The lake was the primary source of daily living. In the year 1792 Caingin became a sitio which only consisted of eight (8) families during that time. Fishing and farming were the primary source of living. They sold their merchandise through the use of bilao (native tray), kariton (push cart) and kartilya (the means of transportation were the cart was pulled by carabao).
The word Caingin was derived from the Tagalog word Kaingin(slash and burn). It is a process of clearing one area by, earns of slashing the species of grass then burning it. The tale of the place’s name started when a Spaniard asked caingin workers what the name of the place was. They thought the foreigner asking what we’re doing and replied Kaingin, so, from that day they called the place Barangay Caingin.
Barangay Dila, also known as “Burol” was based on an old writing, a tale that was passed to generations.
Long time ago, there was an old woman that lived in a high and dark place. The people get mad at her since the time she came – bad luck happened many times in the barangay. They all blame the old woman of all the misfortune they get. The villagers formed a mob and planned to throw-out the oll lady out of the vicinity, and every time they see her they throw rocks at her while the old lady only stares at them with no reaction. Until one day, an earthquake shakes the village and along with a furious rainstorm, and flood ate the village till the only home left remaining is the old lady’s den up the hill. Eversince then, “Burol” the old name of Barangay Dila, was name after it, and because the public cemetery was situated in this Barangay.
Long time ago, there was a wealthy couple who lived in a beautiful place. The wife’s name was Dita and the husband’s name was Tanong. Dita was known to have a bad attitude.
One day, there was a beggar that knocked on the door of their house and begged for a little help. But instead of helping the beggar, Dita insulted the poor man. The next day there was another knock on the door of dita’s house. This time it was a woman with a child, asking for some help in buying medicine for her sick child. But then again Dita refused to help. Next was an old man who asked Dita for some help and then again Dita didn’t help the old man, instead she pushed the old man. Because of that old man got mad and cursed Dita.
Days passed, Dita got sick and little by little she became helpless and died. After few days of her burial, there was a plant that grew at the mound of Dita and her neighbors saw it. They huddled together and talked about the plant. They tasted it and found that the plant was bitter. Someone yelled that the taste of the plant was same as the attitude of Dita and they all agreed to call the plant Dita.
Many years passed until the arrival of the Spaniards in our country.
One day, there was a farmer who rested under a Dita tree. A Spaniard came near to the farmer and said, “Que Este Lugar? Muy Hermosa, Señor Que Este Lugar?’ the farmer was surprised because he didn’t know what the Spanish meant. The farmer thought that the Spaniards was asking what the name of the tree was, so the farmer said, “Dita Señor, Dita”. Then the Spanish replied. “Ah, Dita, gracias señor.” Add the gentlemen shook hands thinking they understood each other.
The Spaniard then told everyone the name of what he thought was a beautiful place. And from then on, the beautiful place was called Dita.
Don Jose was formerly known as Makinang Apoy which was part of Barangay Santo Domingo before. It was only in the time 1960’s that it was separated from Santo Domingo and named after the owner, Don Jose Yulo. It is situated at the southwestern part of Anta Rosa, about eight (8) kilometers from the poblacion. It can be reached by means of land transportation because of its concrete and asphalted roads. It has an area of 829 hectares, more or less. At its northern part, is a Small River in which flows continuously to Laguna Lake and serves as one of the sources of food and water supply of people living near it.
The origin of this barangay was taken from a reading material written by teachers during Pre-World War II period. The story goes this way: It was said that during the Spanish regime, Guardia civil were cruel. They came to Bukol very often to collect tribute from the people living there. But whenever people of this place were not able to pay, they were punished by whipping them a hundred times. To escape from such punishment, some people decided to leave the place and went to the forest. There, they cut down the tall trees and built their own houses. They aslso planted different crops for their living. They found out that sugarcane grew abundantly I this place. Because of too much sugarcane, they thought of making sweets or “panutsa”. The place became famous because of it. And whenever people of this place were asked where the panutsa came from, they will say from the Makinang Apoy meaning a machine that has a very big fire, which was used in making panutsa. From that time on, this place was called Makinang Apoy.
Barangay Ibaba and Malusak were once only a single barangay caleed “Malusak”, named so because when it rained, the site became muddy. During Basilio Gonzales’ reign as Tenyente Alkalde of the barangay, he approved to separate the two barrios due to growing population. The old Malusak retained its name while the lower part of the barangay was called “Ibaba”.
In May 1903 Census, there were 14 barrios namely Aplaya, Balibago, Caingin, Dita, Dila, Ibaba, Macabling, Malitlit, Pook, Pulong Santa Cruz, Santo Domingo, Sinalhan and Tagapo. An additional barrio was curved out of Barrio Santo Domingo in November 5, 1964.
In 1972, Kanluran was created to form the Poblacion Barangays: Barangay I (Kanluran), Barangay II (Malusak), Barangay II (Market Area).
Tracing from the history of Sta.Rosa, the streets’ name in Kanluran were gotten from the famous people who participated in Filipino American War like Jose Zavalla and Delfin Vallejo.
According to some residents, who have been staying for 50 years in Kanluran, during the 1950’s there was no electricity yet. The place was mainly farmland, there were few houses built at that time. There were a lot of star apple and banana trees around the place. A vast of rice fields existed and farm animals like carabaos, goats, cows and hogs owned by the residents roamed around the area. Their means of transportation was “calesa” or walking. The streets were not yet concrete and they used to wlk on “escombro” type of soil then.
It was a gemeinschaft type of community where everybody knew each other. They would know if there are visitors in the place.
It was during the late 60’s that the place was beginning to be occupied by the children of the residents who got married and built their houses on the lands they have acquired through inheritance. Their houses were usually located at the side or the back of their parents or grandparents’’ houses.
During the 70’s more development came like the concreting of the roads, which was under the administration of Mayor Tiongco.
Add as time passed by, there were many developments. Hundred percent of the community land area were occupied. Some of the old houses were renovated gradually from woods to concrete type of houses.
The barangay was more commonly known as Ilaya (a part of Calle Real), and Sitio Masiit when it was recognized as a barangay. Not many knew that it was all part of Barangay Labas. May of 1964, the Barrio Council passed a resolution converting the name Sitio Masiit to Don Celerino Tiongco Street and it was approved by the Municipal Council on July 1964. But since it was not implemented by the administrator of that time, some people still referred to it as Sitio Masiit.
During the Spanish Era, the Barangay also became for Katipuneros Pio Ermita and Talino Sawal who lead the movement against the Spaniards. When they were able to successfully seize the Beyonne Government, they went to join the forces of Silang, Cavite. The barangay became safe passage towards the mountains of Silang.
The barangay became the center of trade since the opening of the train station on year 1905. Instead of the ship or sailboat, businessmen used the train to move their cargo going to Manila.
Jose E. League one of the biggest rice mills at the corner of Sitio Masiit and Calle Real during the year 1920.
UNIDA put up a house of worship on year 1922 at the land of Simeon Hernandez.
In 1929, a power plant was constructed and was then converted to an ice plant. A paper factory was built access road for the people of Macabling and its nearby barangays for their merchandise to reach the town proper (there was once a tiangge in front of Ireneo Dedicatoria’s house). It was only when Highway 54 was constructed that they changed routes.
During the Japanese occupation, the men of the barangay supported the guerillas by food and providing information about the Japanese.
In the 1950’s, Barangay Labas was recognized for its children’s ready to wear apparel from different brands like Segmins, Rolzen, Aling Vita and Aristorenas, among others.
RETELCO Subdivision Station (now PLDT) was built at the Estanislao Compound on 1960. It was also during this year that the first subdivision, Olympia Park Subdivision, was opened. This was followed by the opening of pahse two, three and four in the 1970’s.
Late 1980 are when St.Agatha, Villa Laserna and West Drive was opened, followed by Alfonso Homes in 1990’s and the lates was Garden Villas in year 2000.
Houses were built along the railway station in 1994. It was estimated to have 500 houses with 700 families.
During the administration of Barangay Severino Sawal, a two-room elementary school was erected in Olympia Park Subdivision. A multi-purpose ha;; was constructed in the vicinity of the Olympia basketball court with funding from the Provincial Government.
The present barangay hall was constructed on 1998 with budget coming from the Congressional Development Fund (CDF) of the late Congressman Nereo Joaquin. It is considered one of the most beautiful barangay halls in the City.
The history of Macabling is based from what is remembered by the old people who still live in the barangay. The barangay had already existed even before Santa Rosa was separated from Biñan. In fact, Macabling was already under the official census in 1903 as part of the original 14 barangays of Santa Rosa.
Folk story also has it that the name of the barangay came from the plant called cabling. They say that there was once a stranger who got lost in a hidden place within the barangay. The stranger however saw a small hut surrounded by cabling plants with a couple living in it. When the stranger asked the residents what the name of the place was, the residents thought he was asking for the plant’s name, and hence they said cabling.
Then seasons passed and the placed was called “Macabling”.
There are two versions about the beginning of Barangay Malitlit. The first version was during the Spanish occupation over the Philippines when a Spanish visitor had come and asked a native man chewing “nganga” what the place was called. Because he thought that the Spanish visitor was asking what he was chewing, he replied “litlit”.
The second version was said to be bases from geographical fact. During the old period, the place was said to have some kind of plant called “litlit” surrounding the place. Its leaves were being used by natives to chew “nganga”. Because there are a lot of litlit plants in the area, the place was called “Litlit” and as time passed by, it then became “Malitlit”.
It was September 21, 1972 under R.A. 3590. Malitlit along with the other barrios in the Philippines were called barangays.
Pulong Santa Cruz
After the World War II, a buried cross made of gold was said to have found by an old man cleaning a swamp in an area in Santa Rosa. The old man had then used to build a small church with the image of the cross.
The story had been to many and ever since the place was called “Pulo ng Krus”, which has before called “Pulong Walang Diyos” because of the numerous dead and killed people who have been thrown here during the olden days, when tall grasses covered the land and no houses yet been built.
From the time, “Pulo ng Krus” was then given a new name, “Pulong Sta.Cruz” until it is now called “Barangay Pulong Sta.Cruz”.
During the 1940’s-1950’s, the number of population in the barangay was around 500 people, mostly all relatives and they earned by planting rice while others from weeding and harvesting sugar cane fields.
Once a upon a time, there was a farmer who was riding the back of his carabao slightly threading on a grass field. He chose a path that will shortcut his way home. During his ventures, the carabaos suddenly stopped. He urged the beast to move forward but the beast won’t budge. He stepped down and figured out what was keeping the animal at bay. He dug the soil and found an image of Nuestra Señora Delos Angeles and brought it to the barrio. He told the barrio people the event and they decided to worship her as their patron.
Several years have passed; it was the time of Japanese-Filipino war. The Japanese had announced they will conquer the barrio of coastal area. The people were very afraid and they sought protection from their patron. Their patron granted their prayer and casted their illusion that anyone who will look upon the barrio will only see vast thick forest. The Japanese had arrived and found only a forest coastal area. The ventured inside the forest and couldn’t find the barrio. The Japanese armada retreated. The barrio people learned about this and celebrate. They think their patron and they agreed to name their barrio “Sinalhan”. From the word “sala” meaning to miss.